Thursday, January 21, 2010

Wake Up Call

I was awoken in the wee hours of the morning (when it was still dark outside…extra dark because it has been raining here in California everyday for an entire week) by my husband nudging me in the back asking, “Hunny, what’s that noise?”

Let me digress a little bit…..

For the past three days I have awoken to an alarm clock blasting in my boys’ room, down the hall, at 5 a.m. Today was the third day! The first day it happened, I awoke, startled, rushed to the boys’ room and quickly turned their alarm off so it wouldn’t wake anyone else in the house. After my heart stopped beating 160 beats per minute, it was actually time to get up. I know what you are thinking…5 a.m. isn’t that bad. That might even be sleeping in for some of you. Well, it’s not for me! I thought surely it was a mistake and one of the boys probably just hit the wrong button on the clock and accidentally set the alarm without realizing it.

The second day this happened, I went through the same startled routine reflecting on whether or not I actually turned their alarm to the “off” position or simply hit the “snooze” button. Afterall, what is the likelihood this could happen again? I made sure, this time, that the alarm was set to the “off” position.

On either of these occasions, neither one of my boys woke up. Both times, they were sound asleep, blankets over their faces.

Well, this morning the alarm went off again at the 5:00 hour!!! But today, I actually did not hear it. My husband heard it first…(now the story comes full circle)…So, instead of waking to the alarm (which my mind and body apparently became accustomed to) I was woken up to a nudging in my back and my husband’s query, “Hunny, what’s that noise?”

1) He knew dang well what “that noise” was!
2) Couldn’t he have gotten out of bed and turned the alarm off himself?
(yes…but chose not to)
3) No need to wake me!
4) Selfish!

So, after the alarm clock, several Lego Star Wars ships in it’s path, and the electrical outlet casing were destroyed to pieces, my husband’s explanation was that since I had gotten up the previous two times to take care of it, (in his mind)…I had “taken ownership” of the matter.

Needless to say, my day did not get off to a great start. In fact, the whole day seemed out of whack. Now, that’s not the way someone who is trying to have a positive attitude should think, right? Well, today, I guess I brought teaspoons to life (see previous blog posting)…but what do you expect…all of my buckets were full of rain!!!

To look at things on the bright side…In my Jenny Craig menu today, I got to eat a piece of Lemon cake! and I savored every moment of it!

1 comment:

  1. Oh husbands!! I have a little alarm clock too. Her name is Maddy and she taps me on the forehead and doesn't stop until I wake up....The last two mornings it has been at 4:30 am. I don't have a happy attitude either. I need chocolate and a coke!